E-learning has seen unprecedented growth this year. With almost all of the world inside their homes for a long time this year, everything went online including learning. Edu tech startups are rising with their features and offerings. We have seen Coursera, Udemy and other similar companies become a huge success when it comes to your e-learning. And as we know these platforms came into being when learning and technology combined forces.
In today’s blog, we will figure out how to create an e-learning platform that is successful and also learn the different business models and features of creating an e-learning platform.
Types of e-learning platforms
As you might already be aware of, an e-learning platform should have helpful study materials that help users obtain relevant learning experience after taking a course. In order to provide its users with the said learning experience, the platform should be smooth with seamless UI and free of bugs. These platforms should also let users track their progress in real-time. Users should be able to take courses according to their preferences and interests. These platforms should also provide materials which aid in the learning and completion of courses and lessons.
There are mainly two types of e-Learning platforms:
- Similar to Coursera – in such platforms, you can team up with universities and educational institutions who are the course contributors.
- Similar to Udemy – in such platforms, everyone can create their courses and share knowledge.
Existing Business models
● Paid certificates – Your platform could provide verified certificates that are acceptable in various places. You need to collaborate with universities and educational institutions for this.
● Paid courses – your platform could provide paid courses. Part of the revenue will go to the course creators.
● Subscription-based – users will be subscribing to your platform to have unlimited access to the platform and its courses. This can be monthly or yearly subscription.
● Affiliate model – the courses can have links to additional resources which can provide you with revenue.
● Collaborate with corporates – you can collaborate with corporates to provide specific courses related to the corporates. Users could be the employees of these corporates.
Basic features of an e-Learning platform
● User profile and verification – the user should be able to sign in via email or phone number or via any social media platform. Verification should be required for signing up. The user profile can contain information regarding the user, their profile picture, list of active or completed courses, information on the certificates or credits, their payment history, and settings. For the tutors, the profile should contain information about them and a list of their added courses.
● Search/filter – the search field should let users search or filter through different categories, interests, prices, recommendations, popular courses, etc
● Dashboard – the dashboard should help students or users track and get insights into their progress in courses, list the number of courses they’ve taken, the number of hours spent on each course, etc. The dashboard should help tutors track their courses, the list of courses they’ve added and the students enrolled in them, their earnings, their ratings, etc.
● Course pages – the course pages should have details regarding the course, the relevant study materials required for the course, the course creators information and other details.
● Secure payment methods – there should be provision for secure payment methods for users to enrol if the courses are paid. Tutors should also be provided with a secure method to collect their earnings.
● Notification and reminders – this is given for all platforms. Notifications regarding new courses, reminders regarding the courses are a must if you want to keep the users engaged. But make sure that you do not irritate the users with notifications.
● Course adding pages for tutors – tutors should be able to build their courses easily, add relevant materials, exercises and links to additional resources.
● Admin panel – admin should be able to manage the content and users on the platform, edit/delete courses, generate reports, manage notifications, etc.
● Customer support – this is important. You need to have either online or offline customer support preferably 24*7 for your users.
Now that you know the basic features required for an e-Learning platform, let’s find out how to create your e-learning platforms.
Create your own e-Learning platform
● Analyse your target audience
● Study your competition
● Design the business model you want to go ahead with
● Decide on the features for the MVP
● Find a team to develop the platform
● Partner with tutors
Now that you know the different types of e-Learning platforms, the different business models, the features required for an MVP and the process of creating your e-Learning platform, it’s time to bring your billion-dollar idea to fruition. We at SectorQube can help you create a successful e-Learning platform. Feel free to ping us anytime and share your ideas.